From time to time, the CFNU is called upon to present oral and/or written submissions to various parliamentary committees on a range of topics, as they undertake studies or debate bills on spending, legislation and other issues. These appearances provide an opportunity for the CFNU to bring the voices of frontline nurses and to deliver evidence-based recommendations to Canada’s Parliament.
Standing Committee on Health (HESA)
- April 23, 2021, regarding the parliamentary study on the Emergency Situation Facing Canadians in Light of the Second Wave of the COVID‑19 Pandemic, CFNU Secretary-Treasurer, Pauline Worsfold, appeared as a witness to discuss the sustainability of the nursing workforce in light of the many challenges nurses have faced over the course of the pandemic. You can view it starting at the 14:16:08 mark here, and CFNU’s submission can be read here.
- April 7, 2020, regarding the Briefing on the Canadian Response to the Outbreak of the Coronavirus. Read Linda Silas’ speech before the Parliamentary Health Committee.
- May 14, 2019, regarding the parliamentary study on violence faced by health care workers in their workplaces. Read the CFNU submission.
- June 13, 2018, regarding the unanimous adoption of a motion to study violence faced by health care workers in their workplaces. Read CFNU President Linda Silas’s January 2018 letter to Health Committee Chair MP Bill Casey, requesting a study on this matter. Read the text of the motion here.
- June 30, 2016, regarding the Development of a National Pharmacare Program. Read the CFNU submission.
Patented Medicine Prices Review Board
Advisory Council on the Implementation of National Pharmacare
Finance Committee (FINA)
Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science & Technology
Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence
Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities (HUMA)
Standing Committee on the Status of Women (FEWO)
- March 15, 2017, regarding the study on The Economic Security of Women in Canada. Read the CFNU submission.